Officer ran over with truck during civil unrest over officers shooting an armed man in Philadelphia

Tensions were high as protesters took to the streets on Oct. 26 to protest the police shooting of Walter Wallace Jr., a 27-year-old Black man, in West Philadelphia.

As the night wore on, those tensions boiled over, resulting in several incidents where protesters threw objects at police, set a police SUV on fire and set off fireworks, according to Philadelphia Inquirer.

In the midst of it all, a police officer was run over by a black truck. As police formed a protective shield around the injured officer, rocks were thrown at them. The incident was caught on a YouTube livestream from After Action Report.

The protests were sparked by the death of Wallace, who had been shot multiple times by two police officers. Police and witnesses say that Wallace was armed with a knife.


Police said they told him to drop the knife and then fired when Wallace moved towards them. The officers were both wearing body cameras and the footage is being reviewed.

Wallace’s father, Walter Wallace Sr., told the Philadelphia Inquirer that his son had mental health issues. He questioned why the police couldn’t have simply used a taser.

Philadelphia Mayor Jim Kenney promised a full investigation into the shooting, noting that he had watched the video and that it presented “difficult questions that must be answered.”

———

©2020 The Patriot-News (Harrisburg, Pa.)

Visit The Patriot-News (Harrisburg, Pa.) at www.pennlive.com

Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

Bloomberg Backs Former Miami Mayor to Head Florida Democrats

Bloomberg Backs Former Miami Mayor to Head Florida Democrats

Billionaire Michael Bloomberg has expressed his backing for former Miami Mayor Manny Diaz to lead the foundering Florida Democratic Party, Politico reported on Tuesday. It‘s a job many others are not interested in, after President Donald Trump trounced the Democrats...

Nevada Will Undergo 3-Week ‘Statewide Pause’ as Virus Cases Climb

Nevada Will Undergo 3-Week ‘Statewide Pause’ as Virus Cases Climb

The state of Nevada will be under a “statewide pause” for the next three weeks, Fox News reports. In an attempt to curb the number of rising coronavirus cases, Gov. Steve Sisolak announced new coronavirus restrictions, including an enhanced mask mandate and capacity...